Saturday, May 24, 2008

Two days to go and a garden


Well, in order to distract the children from the looming excitement of their father being home in the next two days, we planted a garden.

I had ORIGINALLY thought that today would be one of those stay-in-your-pj's-for-as-long-as-you-can sort of days with nothing on the horizon to do. Well, I fail to realized when I am planning that sort of day that the Welch family is not a family that can do nothing. So, Emma and I made a list of what we would need and we all loaded up and invaded the Fred Meyer Garden center. After much list following and discussion we left with sweet peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, some flowers and some cucumbers that I couldn't resist. We also bought some good quality dirt (aka soil) that I was not too shy about asking the fine fellas at Freddy's to load into my car for me. We came home, changed into our grubbies and embarked on our garden adventure. It is such a sweet little garden, and everyone helped. Nolen and Emma planted most things, except for the row of Walla Walla Sweets that Mia planted . Titus watered it all when we were done, and felt ever so big doing it. Infact he enjoyed being helpful so much that he ran inside and started mopping the kitchen floor! When I went in I exclaimed, "Wow, Titus! Thank you so much buddy!" His reply was, "You're welcome, Mother. Am I your little gentleman?"
The weather today was gorgeous, warm and sunny and after a few outfit changes all participants changed into their swimsuits and ran through sprinklers, slid into kiddie pools and gave Nina a bath. Poor Nina, she always looks beaten down whenever we give her a bath. Why do dogs have to look THAT pathetic?
Well, it was a terribly productive "lazy" day, and now I need to go read to them for a little bit and tuck them all in for bed.

1 comment:

Most likely Jenn said...

Jen!
I didn't know you had a blog! As I read it, I realize how little time we've spent together for the last six months or more. It must be so encouraging for your kids to have you as a mom. What a great lady!
Hey, you left a post saying you had made a costume, but you never put up a picture...We're waiting!
J