Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Initiative

Every morning while I am getting the coffee ready and then getting dressed My dear husband and Nolen are curled up downstairs by the heater reading from an amazing book called Created for Work by Bob Schultz. This has become great time for them to talk and communicate before we begin our morning hubbub. One one such day a few months ago they read the chapter marked simply "Initiative". The quote on the first page is:

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all. ~Sam Ewig

The chapter uses as an example a hard working boy named Go Getter who works at the local Fill Me Up gas station who does everything that his boss asks him with a cheerful attitude. The author concludes that this boy would be a dream come true in todays world, but God is not impressed. We serve a God who is abundant and overflowing in His graces to us and we need to be as abundant in our graces to others. To not only do what they ask with a good attitude, BUT to anticipate what they will need NEXT and to do it before the even ask.

As the Bible says of God, "And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

So for the past few weeks as I finish up getting dressed, Nolen has been cheerfully coming up to me asking if he can get breakfast started for he and his siblings. Well, as I am not usually in peak form I have been using that as my indication to get moving and have been rushing down to get breakfast on the table. Well, last night I resolved to put a big smile on my son's face and anticipated his eagerness with resolve to make this morning better.

This morning when he came to me and asked if he could make breakfast I said, "Sure buddy! Can you get the cereal down and pour the milk for everyone?" He just beamed! And it really did make the morning go a LOT smoother. No craziness! I was blessed by his initiative and so was everyone else. He felt useful and like the big guy that he is. Now I just need to teach Emma to make lunches . . .

Have a great day!!!!

No comments: